Terminally ill Alfie Evans dies after legal battle over treatment

Alfie Evans latest news update BBC
INSTAGRAM•ALFIESARMY•BBCAlfie Evans latest news update BBC Breakfast asked a doctor to comment on the case today

02 May, 2018

Tom Evans said on Facebook that he was "absolutely heartbroken" after his son passed away.

Thousands paid tribute on social media, with RIP Alfie Evans trending all morning, but their comments were often highly polarised over the courts' decisions.

To announce his death, his parents shared the news on their Facebook page, writing; "Our baby grew his wings tonight at 2:30am (0130 GMT)". The case has stirred strong emotions both in Britain and overseas, with hundreds of thousands signing petitions supporting him.

A statement from Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool, where Alfie was treated, said staff expressed their "heartfelt sympathy", reports the BBC. During that time, he was kept alive by artificial ventilation in the critical care unit.

On Wednesday, the British Court of Appeals upheld a ruling that took away care and sustenance from the toddler and prevented his parents from seeking treatment elsewhere.

Charlie's parents fought a long and public battle to prolong his life, but bowed to the consensus of medical experts who said there was no realistic chance of saving him: The child had irreversible brain damage.

Global support for Alfie Evans spreads to Poland
Since being taken off life support Monday, Evans has breathed on his own and has not been fed by the hospital staff. British doctors say further treatment is futile and he should be allowed to die.

The 23-month-old died early on Saturday (local time), five days after he was taken off life support.

It added: "All of us feel deeply for Alfie, Kate, Tom and his whole family and our thoughts are with them". On Thursday, however, he thanked the family's supporters but asked them to go home so the parents could build a relationship with the hospital to provide the toddler "with the dignity and comfort he needs".

The pope on Saturday tweeted that he was "deeply moved by the death of little Alfie". "Today I pray especially for his parents, as God the Father receives him in his tender embrace", he said.

However, a visit to Alfie and consultation with his doctors led Roman doctors to conclude that the child's condition was irreversible and untreatable, according to a statement from Alder Hey. He thanked the hospital staff "at every level for their dignity and professionalism during what must be an incredibly hard time for them too".

Alder Hey made the decision to stop treating him, saying that continued active treatment is futile and not in Alfie's best interests.

Alfie found himself at the center of a legal battle after courts ruled against his parents' desires to take him to Rome for additional treatment for his rare degenerative brain disease.

More news