FBI Confirms Warning About School Shooting Threat From YouTube User

Nikolas Cruz jail booking
Nikolas Cruz jail booking
Author

16 February, 2018

Nikolas Cruz, 19, was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder Thursday morning after he allegedly opened fire in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, killing 17 people and injuring more than a dozen others.

The FBI likely didn't follow up with YouTube a year ago to determine the identity and location of a person who posted that "I'm going to be a professional school shooter" under a vlogger's video.

YouTuber Bennight told BuzzFeed News that the comment about becoming a professional school shooter alarmed him when he came across it five months ago, and he immediately notified the Federal Bureau of Investigation and YouTube, which removed the comment.

The FBI said it had investigated the YouTube comment but had been unable to fully identify the person who posted it.

"You know, people leave pretty heinous comments on a pretty regular basis on this channel and I really didn't think anything of it, but what I did think was, you know, this comment said, 'I am going to be a professional school shooter, ' and I knew that I couldn't just ignore that", Bennight said in his video posted Wednesday. Bennight does not remember which video it was posted on.

Train Crash Kills 2 In South Carolina
Amtrak said in a statement that the lead engine as well as several passenger cars had derailed as a result of the collision . Smith said he and his friend saw passengers limping along the tracks, while others tried to get everyone out of the cars.

The comment was posted to a video uploaded by MS blogger Ben Bennight.

Bennight said he received a voicemail from FBI Special Agent Ryan Furr at the Miami field office at around 4:30PM on Wednesday, half an hour after the shooting incident began. Bennight told the agents he didn't know anything about the user, he told CNN. The FBI's special agent in charge of the investigation, Rob Lasky, confirmed that the agency had been alerted to a posting on YouTube late previous year by a Nikolas Cruz, bragging...

KTVU reached out to YouTube regarding a Nikolas Cruz account which appeared to be active until Wednesday but was closed because of violent content that violated company policy.

3 On Your Side uncovers a freakish twist to the Florida High School shooting. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them".


More news


  • USA drops another game to Canada 2-1 in the Olympics

    USA drops another game to Canada 2-1 in the Olympics

    The Americans got on the board on the first shift of the third period, when Coyne scored five-hole on an end-to-end rush. Slovenia made a hard push, the Americans played on their heels and a promising night ended in disappointment.
    Don't take Omarosa's Trump remorse at face value

    Don't take Omarosa's Trump remorse at face value

    Here's the shade coming from the administration via political aide Raj Shah: " Omarosa was sacked three times on The Apprentice ". Now she's lounging in her pajamas and talking Big Brother gameplay with Mark McGrath over calculated champagne toasts.
    Everton's Theo Walcott admits fighting off relegation now a priority for club

    Everton's Theo Walcott admits fighting off relegation now a priority for club

    And the 28 year-old has started life on Merseyside superbly after scoring two and providing one assist in his three appearances. Allardyce then took Walcott off to a rousing ovation from the home fans, with the score 4-0.
  • Pound attacked by IOC colleague after criticises approach to Russian doping scandal

    Pound attacked by IOC colleague after criticises approach to Russian doping scandal

    Some 900 military soldiers have now stepped in to cover security duties while guards are tested. He also attended the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia in 2014.
    Taliban bomber kills 11 soldiers in Pakistan's Swat Valley

    Taliban bomber kills 11 soldiers in Pakistan's Swat Valley

    A large contingent of security personnel secured the area after the attack and started an initial investigation into the blast. The suicide bomber struck Saturday evening while the soldiers were playing volleyball after duty.
    Police warn against sharing explicit video

    Police warn against sharing explicit video

    After the video began circulating Facebook, several law enforcement agencies throughout the country began investigating. ACCPD has been made aware of a video making its way around social media involving child pornography.
  • Investment and development pledges for Iraq at $30 billion - Kuwaiti Foreign Minister

    Investment and development pledges for Iraq at $30 billion - Kuwaiti Foreign Minister

    The move is seen as a stunning donation as only a generation ago Saddam Hussein invaded the small, oil-rich nation, AP said. Addressing the forum, Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al Sabah pledged $2 billion towards the reconstruction of Iraq.
    Police officer killed, two wounded in Henry County shooting

    Police officer killed, two wounded in Henry County shooting

    The two injured deputies were Michael Corley and Ralph Sidwell "Sid" Callaway , both with the Henry County Sheriff's Office. One of the deputies was shot through his bullet proof vest in the stomach and is undergoing surgery.
    Rooney: Sanchez will get best from Lukaku

    Rooney: Sanchez will get best from Lukaku

    The 32-year-old has started to plan for a time after he hangs up his boots and said: "I would like to go into management". When asked if Liverpool's trio were as good as the United trio he replied, "I think it would be hard ".
  • Russian Citizen Killed in US Coalition Attack on Pro-Damascus Forces

    Russian Citizen Killed in US Coalition Attack on Pro-Damascus Forces

    A U.S. detachment was at the base. "The defensive position was within effective range of the hostile weapons systems". The New York Times said that Russian and Syrian officials had estimated that dozens of Russians had been killed.
    2nd Federal Court Blocks Trump From Rescinding DACA

    2nd Federal Court Blocks Trump From Rescinding DACA

    Created by the Obama administration through executive action in 2012, DACA now protects almost 700,000 Dreamers from deportation. But he followed that up by ruling that the government still had to accept renewal applications from people now in the program.
    'Threatening' package sent to embassy, Julian Assange claims

    'Threatening' package sent to embassy, Julian Assange claims

    Lawyers representing Assange argued the warrant should be scrapped because he is no longer wanted for questioning in Sweden . Assange has spent the past five-and-a-half years holed up in Ecuador's embassy in London , as a result of the allegations.