Trump wants to purge White House of mobiles

Donald Trump Holds Joint Press Conference With Colombian President Santos
White House Considering Ban On Personal Cell Phones, Says Report
Author

29 November, 2017

The White House is considering a ban on employees using personal cell phones, according to a new report. Bloomberg hears from some officials who say that the ban is driven by cybersecurity concerns. However, if it does go into effect, it would apply to the personal mobile devices of all White House staffers. Early this year, infuriated by numerous leaks, former press secretary Sean Spicer ordered roughly a dozen staffers to present their personal phones for examination to White House lawyers. White House staff said they feared being accused of using government resources to make important personal calls, and that personal calls made on work phones could potentially be made public because of record-keeping procedures. One anonymous official said that there are too many personal devices connected to the White House's wireless network; unlike the phones that are given out by the White House for job related calls, these personal handsets are not secure.

Officials have to leave their devices outside meetings rooms where sensitive or classified information is to be discussed.

More troopers will be out this holiday week. Here's where they'll be
In addition to those killed on Georgia roads a year ago , 1,755 people were injured in 5,011 crashes last holiday period. Turnipseed says the heavier traffic is why troopers put a more intense focus on the holiday enforcement period.

This plan would ban personal device use for all staff in the executive office of the president, though we still don't have clear indication of when the administration will move ahead with the idea.

Cell phones issued by the White House can not send text messages, and the computer network denies access to Gmail, Google Hangouts and other websites. However, national security concerns may win out in the end. For example, in October, reports indicated that the administration only discovered that Chief of Staff John Kelly's personal cellular device had been breached for months after he brought it to tech support, complaining of malfunctions. Instead, they were assigned "burner" phones in case they became compromised by a cyberattack.


More news


  • CWC Meeting: Rahul Gandhi Will Be The New Face Of Congress

    CWC Meeting: Rahul Gandhi Will Be The New Face Of Congress

    Mr Gandhi's immediate challenge is the polls in Mr Modi's home state of Gujarat, which takes place in two phases on Dec 9 and 14. The former Union minister, however, said his promotion would not lead to the party's old guard getting "thrown by the wayside".
    Saudi Arabia seeks to ratchet up pressure against Iran

    Saudi Arabia seeks to ratchet up pressure against Iran

    Saudi Arabia and its allies Sunday lashed out at alleged Iranian violations in the region amid tensions between Riyadh and Tehran. However, Eisenkot warned that local flare-ups could "lead to a broad strategic conflict".
    UNSC to vote on Syria chem gas attacks probe

    UNSC to vote on Syria chem gas attacks probe

    The measure could face a veto from Russian Federation , which is pushing a rival resolution opposed by the USA and other Security Council members.
  • How Prince Harry proposed to Meghan Markle

    How Prince Harry proposed to Meghan Markle

    Harry and Markle, who is a divorcee, met in July 2016 after they were introduced through a friend who set them up on a blind date. Members of the royal family have sent out their congratulatory messages to the couple.
    India blames Pak for harbouring terrorism

    India blames Pak for harbouring terrorism

    Saeed, however, said Sharif deserved to be removed for his peace overtures with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Saeed was also seen cutting a cake and distributing candies among his supporters in celebration of his release.
    Tsunami Warning After Massive Earthquake Near Vanuatu And New Caledonia

    Tsunami Warning After Massive Earthquake Near Vanuatu And New Caledonia

    Rigault said there was no immediate damage, but guests were on alert for a formal evacuation warning. There has been a cluster of quakes in the area between magitude 6.4 and 7 in the past 24 hours.
  • Pakistan frees Hafiz Saeed, alleged mastermind of Mumbai attacks

    Pakistan frees Hafiz Saeed, alleged mastermind of Mumbai attacks

    That came about after Pakistani military's purported rescue of American hostage Caitlan Coleman and her family after five years of Taliban captivity.
    Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9

    Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9

    The bad news is that this Galaxy X would only be available on South Korean shelves as per the Dutch mobile site Mobiel Kopen. Speaking of the camera setup, the new Galaxy A5 will continue to feature a single shooter on the rear, like its predecessor.
    Lebanon's Hariri holds talks with Egypt President Sisi in Cairo

    Lebanon's Hariri holds talks with Egypt President Sisi in Cairo

    The Saudi-owned, pan-Arab daily Asharq Al-Awsat alluded to French and Egyptian efforts in a front-page report on Tuesday. Saad Hariri had unexpectedly resigned as Prime Minister from Saudi Arabia resulting in a political crisis in the region.
  • Suspect charged in fatal shooting of state trooper

    Suspect charged in fatal shooting of state trooper

    It was not clear from the statement who opened fire. "Sad on Thanksgiving to lose one of our state troopers in the line of duty". Authorities identified Black as the lone suspect in the death of a Texas DPS trooper who was shot and killed around 3:45 p.m.
    Trump's sickening decision to stand by Roy Moore

    Trump's sickening decision to stand by Roy Moore

    He's weak on crime, weak on borders. "He's awful for property owners". "The women are Trump voters". Alone with Corfman, Moore chatted with her and asked for her phone number, she says.
    Qualcomm draws up plans to rebuff Broadcom's $103 billion offer

    Qualcomm draws up plans to rebuff Broadcom's $103 billion offer

    Shares of Qualcomm have been declining in value in the recent quarters, which is why Broadcom made its proposal. Broadcom has indicated it is willing to acquire Qualcomm irrespective of whether it closes the NXP deal.